Friday, February 3, 2012

Off the Wagon

I fell off the wagon this week. I had lunch break runs on Wednesday & Thursday, but my training plan has been thwarted by none other than myself.

It's like when you're on a diet...and every day you promise to be good...and then you eat an entire bag of chips and a pint of Ben and Jerry's.

I hit the gym last Saturday with a bunch of Mind Body Fit Club girls at the L.A. Fitness in Highland for my first cross-training session of my marathon training schedule. I hadn't done a Bodyworks class since I worked at the magazine in Temecula. It's a freeweights-squatting, lactic-acid burning, triceps murdering class with a tiny instructor who has never had a desk job. It's the kind of class that if you squat one more time, you are certain tomorrow you will not be able to sit without falling...then the instructor calls out for another 32 repetitions.

My muscles were so paralyzed after the class, I got on the treadmill for a mile to loosen up. Then Jaylene (who has lost 105lbs by diet, exercise and mindset through MBFC) had the bright idea to get on a stairclimber, so I complained for 10 minutes until we could get in the pool and try to swim my muscles loose again.

After hugging all the girls and telling them I will be cheering/supporting them at the Surf City Marathon (on 2/5), I hightailed it back up the mountain to ride with Jenn, Kathy and Monica.

Jenn & Jake
Drifter didn't look like this the whole ride
Drifter is training for his own marathon of sorts. I will be taking him to Buck's clinic in March and those four days are going to be tough for him without much endurance. I will post about the trail ride(s) on my horsemanship blog soon.

I finished Sunday with what was supposed to be an 11 mile run according to my training schedule. I eked out 7.25 but not without every muscle in my muscles registering some angry complaints to the brain. Fine. I turned around at the Convention Center and trudged home, just in time to attempt to nurse my seized, cramped legs.

So cross-training + riding + running = A complete shut down of the muscular system

Every day, I'm learning...

I hold myself accountable to my Garmin...but maybe if I tell you dear readers when I am supposed to run, you can be my virtual partner who I cannot let down.

Tomorrow, I plan on making up that 11 mile SLD (slow long distance) I missed last weekend.

I will finish with an unrelated LOL Cat:

No comments:

Post a Comment