Thursday, December 15, 2011

Post Op

Left work early today to get Travis down the hill to his post-op appointment.

Many of you know, I almost never drive us anywhere. My driving does nothing but drive Travis crazy. Which drives me to drive like an 89-year-old blind woman. I am pretty sure I can tell you every single time I have ever driven Travis anywhere:

1. Wisdom teeth
2. Eyelid rip (snowboarding accident)
3. Broken neck (back home from Montana)
4. Broken wrist
5. Broken ankle
6. When he taught me how to drive the 1960 VW ragtop
7. Knee surgery
8. Only once have I been a designated driver. That was when Micah and Travis got to the open bar before I did at Andrew Mellon's wedding.

I am pretty sure that's it. Oh, wait:
9. I have probably driven less than 8 hours total on 14 years worth of road trips to places like Oregon, Montana and Colorado.

Anyhoo, both nurses who helped Travis were cute, so I am glad I went with him to remind them that he's taken. Cute nurse #1 checked him in and removed the bandages:

Loss of calf muscle after 10 days?
Dr. Chow came in after the bandages were off. Explained the surgery. Explained, with pictures from the arthroscopic camera inside his knee, how the medial and lateral meniscus were trimmed up and how the new ACL was implanted into the hole where the old ACL used to belong. He humored Travis's questions about how soon can he [this and that] and asked for him to please let his knee heal for another 4 weeks until his next appointment.

That being said, he gave Travis 75˚ range of motion with his knee brace, told Travis to walk as much as he can, and gave his blessing for Travis to take a shower.

Enter cute nurse #2 to remove sutures and re-fit the knee brace.


And with that, and a new appointment in January, we were sent on our way. One lunch at Red Robin and an hour sitting on the hill with a bunch of people who don't know how to drive in the snow, and we are home.

Yes...those are both of Travis's knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment