Sunday, April 14, 2013

Geeking on Golf this weekend

Travis was trying to organize some buddies to join him on the links this weekend. One of his good friends, while on speakerphone said, "Dude, it's the masters this weekend. I gotta watch it live."

"Don't live live (that's liv lyve...yes, I get why English is a frustrating subject) or anything." I muttered.

Travis laughed and repeated it.

His friend said he was going to have to think about that one for a bit. Nevertheless, Trav did find a group to play with both yesterday and today, and caught up on the Masters in the evening.

It was this time last year, when golf finally caught my attention.


Bubba Watson's amazing hook shot on the 18th hole, a shot so seemingly impossible, executed impeccably, with Bubba's own humble belief and confidence that it could be done. In an interview this week, he said he likes "creating" shots. It was clear the way he played that shot that he does. Whether or not I knew what I was seeing, I was impressed.


It went down in the history books as one of the greatest shots in Masters history (or maybe in televised golf for that matter). This week, the Golf Channel did a moment-by-moment breakdown in the physics required to actually make the shot happen.

So that's when I realized that Travis is playing a game that is something bigger than glorified croquet. The words you hear golfers use in their interviews: patience, focus, dedication. The gentlemen's sport fascinates me.

Who will win the green jacket today?

No comments:

Post a Comment